Wednesday 31 August 2016


A very successful talk yesterday at the Greenmount Library. It was booked out in advance with a long waiting list so I have arranged with the Library to give it again, probably early next year. I talked about my book and my career as a writer and then went into what I had learned about techniques that can be used to keep readers turning the pages. Things like setting lots of questions in the opening chapters, placing hooks at the beginnings and ends of chapters, and the importance of having a consistent voice and delivering what the blurb says the book will deliver. From the number of questions and the animated discussion that followed it was well received. Several of the audience were writers and said I had given them some new ideas to work with. I have another talk today to a very different audience in Rockingham. Looking forward to seeing what response I get there,

No comments:

Post a Comment