Tuesday 20 October 2015

Haven't been posting here because so much is happening, New Edition Bookshop in Fremantle has taken copies of A New Era For Manny Youngman, which I see as a major step forward. Now I have to get it into the other indie bookshops around Perth. It doesn't guarantee sales, of course, but at least I can tell people where to get a copy when they ask, I've set up a Facebook page for the book and I'm working on directing people to the page. It's all a big learning curve.
And while all this is happening, I've started on the outline of a new book, provisionally titled The Family Fortune although that may well change. The premises is a mysanthropist learns he is about to die and faces the problem of what to with the large amount of money he has accumulated. He revisits his long-abandoned family to see if any of them are worth leaving the money to. The ensuing story is about ugliness being only skin deep, not judging a book by its cover and the importance of family. It is not a sequel to Manny but in the same vein, which is why I want to write this now instead of continuing with the Granny series, As another local writer, Heidi Kneale, put it, I have established a brand with Manny and I should continue to develop that brand. I feel it is also more "me" in that it answers my original question to myself when I was 17 - writers have a meaning - what meaning have I? Like Manny this book can tell a good, readable story while conveying something of my personal values and thoughts about life generally.
I also have my story Under The Rotunda coming out in the Rocky Romance anthology, I'm taking part in a coupe of panel discussions for the Rockingham Writers Centre and I'll be giving my first author talk at the Book Fair in November and another at a local library in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment