Sunday 28 February 2016

Reading Rowbotham

Reading Michael Rowbotham's latest, 'Close Your Eyes', I came across this passage: "I think society tolerates aggression in men. They are seen as fragile, unhappy creatures, no longer in control, no longer having the same privileges or power as in the past, so we are supposed to forgive them for swinging a fist."
I don't agree we should forgive them, but the idea of men feeling displaced and domestic violence being a symptom of that was what my protagonist is saying in A New Era For Manny Youngman. It's gratifying, and in a way reassuring, to find others are identifying the same social issue that led me to write the novel, even if they do it from a different angle. 
That said, 'Close Your Eyes' is a very good read if you're into crime novels. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment