Sunday 28 February 2021

A fitting end

 I struggled over the ending of the final story for my anthology until yesterday, when I realised it had to finish with an inconclusive ending. The anthology is my life in short stories, a chronological account of stories I have written since my first when I was in my teens. Since my life is not over, it follows that the ending of the last story leaves the future open to speculation. Moreover, the last story is the most autobiographical, it tells of a elderly man travelling on coach tours, looking for something or someone as I have been doing in the past year. 

After throwing out a few which I did not think were worth including, the anthology now consists of 27 stories totalling just short of 80,000 words. They range widely in subject matter and are not confined to any genre. I have no idea what readers will make of them, but my aim is simple - having written so many stories over the years I want to see them in print instead of gathering dust in a drawer. Hopefully my great grandsons, Noah and Cooper, and their descendants, will one day read them and have some idea what sort of person they are descended from. That's probably a vain hope, but it is one that gives me a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment